Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend, Life & Death

This weekend we celebrate our soldiers. We remember their sacrifice and affirm our devotion to freedom through it. In my own personal life I've gone through some milestones this weekend as well.

My daughter went to her senior prom last night. She was beautiful. Sending her off was a culmination of many years of worry, nuturing and hardwork. It was truly a bittersweet moment. It was a moment meant to mark an important milestone in a young woman's life and she did it gracefully.

This morning my aunt died after a long struggle with brain cancer. She passed peacefully in her sleep. Her children had been with her. The last important milestone in a woman's life.

The irony of the two events occuring hours apart did not pass over me. It gave me a lot to think about. My young daughter starting her life out with hopefully many wonderful new experiences. My aunt leaving hers with many wonderful adventures behind.

As we go about this weekend, let's remember the reason we have the holiday. Our service men and women. But also that it is an affirmation of life and death and the freedom to pursue it. Always pursue life, don't wait for it.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your loss. Your post is lovely. :) Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete