Saturday, June 4, 2011

Four Women and Their Computers

Friday I had over some friends of mine for a mini writers retreat. I thought it would be a great way to kick start the summer with a day full of intense writing. I got a veggie plate, bagels, coffee, biscotti and we had chinese for lunch. Fun.

Well, what I learned is not as much writing happens as a person plans for at these things. We set a timer for forty-five minutes at a time but still managed to talk in between. We started later than expected. Our breaks lasted a wee bit longer. By the end of the day I think our accumulative word count hovered around 2000. Not terrible but not what I was hoping for. What I didn't expect was how much I needed to talk about all things writing with my friends, share my work and hear about theirs. It was wonderful. Word counts be damned.

I'm going to plan another one soon, but this time plan out time for sharing work, doing excercises to get us to do some break through writing and of course time to work on our current projects. I love writing with other people. How about you? Shout outs to Karysa Faire, Reina Williams and Marik Berghs!

2 comments:

  1. Yep! It was an excellent day and I loved being there. We definitely have to do it again soon. I think we should also include some 'this is what's happening in my life' time. :-)

    ReplyDelete